My Phd thesis has been 10 years in the making. I don't have much time, as I teach full time, and spend a lot of time looking after the home/meals, kids, husband, husband's surgery and accounts, but I've been making that an excuse, because when I do have time, I'll do anything but face the thesis beast (of which I'm very much afraid). I've been deregistered for 3 years, as my supervisors only want to see the finished (rewritten) project, so no supervision/ guidance, which makes me more afraid. Here's what I need to do.
- Review theoretical chapters 2 & 3, taking notes so that the new version of ch 4 has continuity.
- Write section headings for ch 4, reviewing notes/ old version
- Write ch 4
- Rewrite intro, again (slight moifications)
- Review chapters 5 & 6, updating with more recent material
- Review methodology ch. 7
- Review results ch.s 8, 9, 10, 11, adding section about social class and taking notes for the final chapters
- Write section headings for discussion ch. 12,
- Write ch. 12
- Write section heading for final ch 13
- Write ch 13
- Review whole thesis
- Check bibliography/ annexes
- Send to reviewer
- Send to supervisors
Phew! Like this it seems enormous! But the big hurdle is ch. 4. It might be unrealistic to have it all done by mid August. I'm going to break this down further and add daily check-ins for smaller sections.
Task: preferably 4 hours a day from now till mid August. Minimum 2 hours, preferably early in the morning so I don't get to the end of the day with the idea that I haven't achieved anything, or getting sidetracked to all the short term goals at home/ work.